Wrongly ID on Shearwater Petrel 2 -4.6 Beta 1

Anton Lundin glance at acc.umu.se
Fri Nov 11 12:53:44 PST 2016

On 13 October, 2016 - JB2Cool wrote:

> On 13 October 2016 at 12:25, John Smith <noseygit at hotmail.com> wrote:
>

> > On 13 Oct 2016, at 12:09, JB2Cool <jb2cool at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On 13 October 2016 at 12:03, JB2Cool <jb2cool at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> I get this on my OSTC mk2 when I have a different version of the firmware
> >> on it. Does the Shearwater get regular firmware updates too, that could
> >> well cause it to have a different device ID.
> >>
> >> Yes, I think my issue is the same, shearwater push very regular updates.
> >
> > However, the device Id in the shearwater software has never changed, which
> > would suggest that libdivecomputer isn't reading the true serial number but
> > assigning one instead
> >

> As far as I can see this is by design, device id isn't the serial, they are
> different things. You might want to keep track of  which dives you did on
> the Shearwater with firmware 1 and then which dives with firmware 1.1, if
> the device id was the same you couldn't tell them apart, having different
> device id means that firmware 1.0 and 1.1 show as different devices.
>
> Maybe do as I do and set a friendly name for your dive computer but mention
> the firmware version in there too.

It used to be that way, but nowadays more correctly use only serial
number for deviceid, for devices where we get a reliable serial
number. That should be both HW and Shearwater devices.

So, I cleaned up my old logs manually, and fixed all deviceid's to point
to the right ones, and from there on it works great. Not the prettiest
way, but if you care about your device-list it might be the solution.

//Anton

--
Anton Lundin	+46702-161604