Proposal: Photos icon in dive list

Willem Ferguson willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za
Thu Nov 17 04:17:16 PST 2016

Problem:
Sometimes I take many photographs during a dive and after the dive e.g.
group photos on boat or on shore or photos of equipment or scenery after
a dive. The photos show up on the Photos tab. Those taken during the
dive also show up on the dive profile. But frequently it is not easy to
trace photos taken after a dive because they, of course, do not show on
the profile. So one needs to switch to the photos tab to see them. For
instance, a local tec instructor that uses Subsurface often takes a
photo of the training group before or after the dive and then associates
these photos with a specific dive in his dive log. These photos do not
show on the dive profile (as it should be) and can take some time to
locate within the dive log.

Potential solution:
Add one column to the dive table. This column contains an icon (about
size of the globe in the Dive site column) that indicates whether there
are photographs associated with the particular dive. I propose three
icons: Photos during dive; photos before/after dive, photos during AND
before/after dive. One of these icons are shown when a dive has
associated photos, independently of whether the "Show photos" tool bar
button on the dive profile panel has been activated or not. Ideally the
dive list should be sortable on this column; i.e. the dive list sort
model should incorporate this column as well.

If someone is prepared to do the UI part, I can do the back end coding
which should not be complex.

Kind regards,
willem