Photos problems

Robert Helling helling at atdotde.de
Sun Nov 27 02:59:45 PST 2016

Willem,

> Am 27.11.2016 um 10:53 schrieb Willem Ferguson <willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za>:
>
> Can you please explain the reason you suggested I remove/rename the hashfile? Exactly what information is contained in the hashfile? I wish to understand in order to solve similar problems on my machine in future.

the picture loading (with the hash computation) is quite a slow computation (even when the hash computation is done in the background), in particular for big image files (with far too much date that we never need given the size of the images we display). So, once we loaded the images and resized them to the thumbnail size we use, we store the result in a cache. This, as well as the local_filename<->hash_value translation table gets stored to the hashfile. Loading the hashfile upon startup is much faster than loading all the individual image files (which get loaded once the dive is selected in the divelist). Without the cache, scrolling in the divelist would be really slow.

The problem is when the cache is corrupted. Then the wrong (i.e. none at all) image is displayed and you cannot do anything about it in terms of changing the local file as that is never looked at anymore.

Let me see if we can detect this cache corruption (i.e. when the cached thumbnail does not open as an image) or provide a way to the user to invalidate the cache.

Best
Robert