Heat map timing and colours

Willem Ferguson willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za
Fri Oct 7 05:26:34 PDT 2016

On 05/10/2016 03:40, Rick Walsh wrote:

> The exact points on the colour scale are interpolated between points
> on the HSV (hue, saturation, value) colours scale
>
> Tissue pressure below ambient pressure points are:
> tissue pressure negligible relative to ambient pressure (rapid descent
> to depth): "bright" cyan (HSV = 180 deg, 1, 1)
> tissue pressure ~ 53% of (ambient pressure * fraction inert gas in
> air): "bright" blue (HSV = 240 deg, 1, 1)
Is 53 the bottom limit of this class or the top limit of the class (i.e.
is the interval 0-53 or 53-79) ??

> tissue pressure = 80% of (ambient pressure * fraction inert gas in
> air): "bright" purple (HSV = 270 deg, 1, 1)
> tissue pressure = (ambient pressure * fraction inert gas in air):
> black (HSV = 270 deg, 1, 0)    <---- this is special because it is
> where your tissues end up if you breath air on the surface
> tissue pressure = ambient pressure: "medium" green (HSV = 270 deg, 1,
> 0.68)
>
> Tissue pressure above ambient pressure points relative to M value
> (tissue "gradient factor") are:
> 10% of M value = "bright" green (HSV = 120 deg, 1, 1)
> 55% of M value = "bright" yellow (HSV = 60 deg, 1, 1)
Is 55 the bottom limit or the top limit of this interval? (i.e. is the
above interval 11%-55% or 55%-99%, assuming there are some non-described
intermediate colours included in this interval) ??
> 100% of M value = "bright" red (HSV = 0 deg, 1, 1)
> (Is this    -> 100%  or is it 100% ->  ??)
> 140% of M value = white (HSV = 0 deg, 0, 1)
>
> I hope you never see the colours beyond red in an actual dive - but
> you can in a test plan if you set GF > 100%, or VPM-B with zero
> conservatism and a deco dive with a reasonably long bottom time, which
> can result in an equivalent GFhigh >100%.

Some questions inline in the text above

Also, meaning of black:
1) An air dive to 40m will have a tissue pressure of nitrogen of up to 4
bar (equivalent to the pressure at the bottom black line in the pressure
graph in the info box, looking at fast tissues)
2) In this case, up to a pressure of 0.53*4 = 2.12 bar the colour in the
heat map should be cyan.
3) Breathing air at the surface, tissues end up with a nitrogen pressure
of 0.8 bar.
This is way within the cyan zone of the heat map.

Please explain in more detail so that willem can start thinking straight?

Kind regards,
willem