User manual update: Heat map

Willem Ferguson willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za
Tue Oct 11 03:04:16 PDT 2016

On 10/10/2016 17:34, Robert Helling wrote:

>> On 10.10.2016, at 17:22, Willem Ferguson
>> <willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za
>> <mailto:willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za>> wrote:
>>
>> give me a more precise indication of the unclear areas?
>
> It was simply the shire number of references to part A, part B then
> again A then C. Maybe the abstract letters don’t help. Could you use
> more descriptive names every now and then?
>
> In the end, it’s not so complicated: The heat map show how much gas is
> in the tissues compared to the ambient pressure, all this as a
> function of time. Blue colors mean less gas in the tissue and thus
> on-gasing, green to red mean excess gas in the tissue to various
> degrees and thus off-gassing. Fast to slow tissues from top to bottom.
> Lots of yellow and red mean lots of seed for possible DCS. This is the
> general idea, the more detailed version should be obvious from the
> figures (I would hope). I would think being less explicit in the text
> would help (because the reader needs to digest less information).
>
> What do you think?
>
> Best
> Robert
>
> --
The previous gas pressure graph was pretty precise and I could read the
exact compartment gas pressures from the graph and relate them to the
gradient factor (accepting there was no calibrated Y axis). I prefer
information that is as precise as possible, therefore this preference.
In contrast, for the heat map the colours are more qualitative, but I
still prefer as precise an interpretation of the colours as possible.
Therefore just a general notion of blue to red is not sufficient. For
instance, if I have a deco stage with orange in it, I want to understand
whether the inert gas pressures were very close to the M-value or not.
If the heat map cannot provide that information, it would not serve any
purpose for me. Therefore my strong preference for a much more explicit
interpretation of the heat map. Because of this, it took me some time to
get to terms with the heat map. In addition, if I have never seen a heat
map and I am reading the user manual for the first time, I would like to
have the full explanation, not only a notional summary. The user manual
is most useful for divers using these facilities of Subsurface for the
first time. If I were that diver, I would have preferred the 'full
treatment'.
I hope my approach appears sane.
Kind regards,
willem