Wrongly ID on Shearwater Petrel 2 -4.6 Beta 1

JB2Cool jb2cool at gmail.com
Thu Oct 13 05:18:28 PDT 2016

On 13 October 2016 at 12:25, John Smith <noseygit at hotmail.com> wrote:

> On 13 Oct 2016, at 12:09, JB2Cool <jb2cool at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Screengrab might help clarify things.
>
> <ostc device names.jpg>
>
> On 13 October 2016 at 12:03, JB2Cool <jb2cool at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I get this on my OSTC mk2 when I have a different version of the firmware
>> on it. Does the Shearwater get regular firmware updates too, that could
>> well cause it to have a different device ID.
>>
>> Yes, I think my issue is the same, shearwater push very regular updates.
>
> However, the device Id in the shearwater software has never changed, which
> would suggest that libdivecomputer isn't reading the true serial number but
> assigning one instead

As far as I can see this is by design, device id isn't the serial, they are
different things. You might want to keep track of  which dives you did on
the Shearwater with firmware 1 and then which dives with firmware 1.1, if
the device id was the same you couldn't tell them apart, having different
device id means that firmware 1.0 and 1.1 show as different devices.

Maybe do as I do and set a friendly name for your dive computer but mention
the firmware version in there too.

Jb