Reorganise preferences->graph panel --- proof of concept

Willem Ferguson willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za
Mon Oct 31 08:04:47 PDT 2016

On 31/10/2016 15:13, Dirk Hohndel wrote:
> Even when the Apply button is selected, the option(s) (e.g. VPMB
> conservatism, GFHigh, GFLow) are not greyed out in the appropriate
> way. This only happens once either the VPMB or the Bühlmann radio
> button is selected.

> That isn’t hard to do in the UI code. Do you need help with that?

Please give me a pointer or two.

>      3. Even when the Apply button is selected, the option(s) (e.g.
>         VPMB conservatism, GFHigh, GFLow) are not greyed out in the
>         appropriate way. This only happens once either the VPMB or the
>         Bühlmann radio button is selected.
>

>>      4. I found it difficult to right-align the text in some fields.
>>         At the moment some alignment is done by inserting spaces on
>>         the left of the appropriate string properties in the
>>         preferences_graph.ui file. This is not optimal at all. There
>>         is a Qt::Alignment class member and I tried defining a
>>         property in the XML and then setting this alignment property
>>         to Qt::AlignRight. This works, but messes up the vertical
>>         alignment of the specific text lable. I have not found a
>>         better solution than the present one but maybe someone knows
>>         of a more elegant solution.

I see on the language preference tab, the construct below is used for
spacing. But that tab has a vertical layout, not a grid layout.

        <spacer name="horizontalSpacer">
         <property name="orientation">
          <enum>Qt::Horizontal</enum>
         </property>
         <property name="sizeHint" stdset="0">
          <size>
           <width>203</width>
           <height>20</height>
          </size>
         </property>
        </spacer>

Any suggestion of what may work here?

> Aligning with spaces is a non-starter because it gets messed up with
> translations. We need to programmatically line things up correctly.
> Again, this is a Qt issue.
>
>>      5. There are a few small problems with the naming of properties
>>         in the XML. This comes from the existing code but can easily
>>         be fixed.
>>

> Can you say more about that, please?

Generating ui_preferences_graph.h
/home/willem/src/subsurface/desktop-widgets/preferences/preferences_graph.ui:
Warning: The name 'label_26' (QLabel) is already in use, defaulting to
'label_261'.
/home/willem/src/subsurface/desktop-widgets/preferences/preferences_graph.ui:
Warning: The name 'label_18' (QLabel) is already in use, defaulting to
'label_181'.
/home/willem/src/subsurface/desktop-widgets/preferences/preferences_graph.ui:
Warning: The name 'pSCR' (QLabel) is already in use, defaulting to 'pSCR1'.
/home/willem/src/subsurface/desktop-widgets/preferences/preferences_graph.ui:
Warning: The name 'groupBox_5' (QGroupBox) is already in use, defaulting
to 'groupBox_51'.
/home/willem/src/subsurface/desktop-widgets/preferences/preferences_graph.ui:
Warning: The name 'gridLayout_2' (QGridLayout) is already in use,
defaulting to 'gridLayout_21'.

Duplicate labels. I think trivial to fix.