Qt theme ignored in AppImage

Thiago Macieira thiago at macieira.org
Mon Sep 26 15:08:11 PDT 2016

On segunda-feira, 26 de setembro de 2016 11:20:02 PDT Salvo Tomaselli wrote:
> When running from AppImage, the system Qt theme is ignored.

What is your system theme?

Is it Plasma's? That is expected to happen because the Plasma / KDE theme is
provided by a plugin installed by Plasma itself, which an AppImage Qt will not
be able to find or load.

Is it Gtk3? The qgtk3 plugin would need to be supplied in the AppImage, which
could trigger including of the Gtk libraries in the AppImage too. But if you
have a Gtk-based environment, without the plugin, Qt should fall back to the
"GNOME" theme, which does not link to the Gtk libraries (yeah, naming is
upside down) and simply tries to emulate the Adwaita L&F.

I don't think you can get a good L&F integration with an AppImage, period. We
can only get a good approximation, with either the "GNOME" or "Fusion" styles.