Shearwater Perdix test result, was Re: Fwd: Re: OSTC Sport bluetooth problem with Linux

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Tue Apr 4 15:49:27 PDT 2017

On Tue, Apr 4, 2017 at 2:34 PM, Lutz Vieweg <lvml at 5t9.de> wrote:

> But whenever I tried to start the download, the operation failed after a
> wait time of ~5 seconds with a dialog stating:
>>
>> Insufficient privileges to open the device D4:60:3A:**:**:** Shearwater
>> (Perdix)
>
> "strace" did not reveal any "ENOPERM"-failing operations or such.

That error message is actively misleading for BT devices. It's just
"open failed".

It's from the serial line (and USB device) case where the most common
reason for being unable to open a device was due to permission issues
on the device node.

So what happens is that dc_device_open() returns a failure (_any_
failure), and we fail to "stat()" the device name. The stat() will
obviously always fail for bluetooth, since there isn't a device node
at all.

We should probably try to add some "report_error()" logic to the
actual libdivecomputer code so that there would be more information
about exactly what actually failed.

             Linus