Pretel dives not downloading.

Rick Walsh rickmwalsh at gmail.com
Wed Apr 5 15:45:43 PDT 2017

Hi Pablo,

On 6 April 2017 at 06:50, Pablo Wolter <pwolter at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I just tried to download 2 dives from the last weekend in Subsurface
> and nothing happens. I have not downloaded dives since I upgraded to
> this new version. before it worked but I have not downloaded in a
> while.
>
> I always first pair the dive computer with my Mac. Then open
> Subsurface and try to import. I click the Download on Subsurface the
> button gets greyed out the computer tells me it sent data and comes
> back to main screen but Subsurface doesn't do anything. After a while
> the download button is blue and reads Retry, on the right the dives
> list shows 2 dives and they are selected. The dive computer is back to
> its main screen. I go again to Dive Log - Upload Log and click retry
> .... nothing, just shows an error: Unable to open
> /dev/tty.Pretel-SerialPort Sherwater (Pretel).

Many, but not all, issues with downloading from Bluetooth are solved by
putting a new battery in your dive computer. This is especially the case
when downloading used to work but doesn't anymore. One thing I like about
the Petrel (and Perdix) is that replacing the AA battery is easy and cheap.

Now I was about to say download with my Petrel 2 works fine on Linux.  But
I just tested with the latest master, and it failed with a similar error on
the command line, and "Insufficient privileges to open the device..."
dialog displayed.

qt.bluetooth.bluez: void QBluetoothSocketPrivate::_q_readNotify() 29 error:
-1 "Resource temporarily unavailable"
[5.125099] ERROR: Failed to open the serial port. [in
../../src/shearwater_common.c:46 (shearwater_common_open)]