error when saving information on the cloud

Davide DB dbdavide at gmail.com
Sat Apr 8 02:21:42 PDT 2017

Houston, we have a problem

Still trying to get everything in working order without too much luck. I'm
the perfect layman and I'm particolar good at making huge mess with
software. Sorry for this, bear with me,
I'm stuck in hyperspace and I try to resume my situation.

I brought with me my invaluable loogbok V3 taken from my default PC which
unfortunately is behind an http proxy.
I've got a computer with a plain connection to internet. BTW there was an
old 4.4.2 Subsurface version.

#1 I tried to update the 4.4.2. via help > check for updates. but I get an
error (unable to contact server, check your internet connection...) Please
see the attachments. I updated manually trough the website and I tried
again via   help > check for updates but I'm getting the same error. My PC
is perfectly connected and Subsurface see the internet because I'm able to
zoom and browse on the globe. I restarted Subsurface several times changing
some parameters. No luck

[image: Inline images 1]

[image: Inline images 2]

[image: Inline images 3]

#2  On my default pc (the one behind the proxy) I already had created a
cloud account and I even verified it receiving and setting a PIN. Now I
forgot my password so I'm not able to connect to it again.
(PLEASE Dirk could you reset my password?).

Problem is that whatever I write in the password field I do not get
feedback. It's a strange situation because UI behaves differently from the
other computer when I did not setup a cloud account. Obviously I found no
trace of user/password in the log-book and this computer had a 4.4.2
installed before. What's happening?
After digging into the user manual (RTFM) I discovered that i could go
directly to https://cloud.subsurface-divelog.org/ . There at least I get a
reassuring wrong user/password feedback like it used to be :)
Maybe UI is just missing a popup/status bar message notifying me that
user/password is wrong?

Summarizing everything:

#1 There's no way to reset password by themselves. It's simply crazy but at
lest I would expect a huge bold blinking text mentioning it on the user
manual.
#2 User manual mentions user/password procedure at chapter 9 but the first
time I find how to create a cloud account is at chapter  5.4.1. "Storing
and and using GPS locations using Subsurface-mobile". Then at Chapter 8 it
explain how to export your dives to Facebook. IMHO order of importance is
completely wrong: 9. "Keeping a Subsurface dive log in the Cloud" and 9.1.
"Create a cloud storage account" should be the first mention. Even if i
don't read the user manual sequentially as a novel, I would expect to find
as the first search occurrence. Instead the first occurence speak about
Subsurface mobile that (AFAIK) it's not compulsory to use the cloud. I
would expect a sequence like:

  1) configure completely Subsurface desktop
  2) configure other apps

#3 Global user experience on this is really a mess. Even having
semantically related parameters scattered on two different preference tabs
(defaults/network) does not help to understand the whole picture. Of course
I understand that for who wrote and developed the code everything is clear
but I can assure you that from a stupid user like me is not.

PS
I don't mean to be rude. you know how I love Subsurface and how much I try
to help while I have free time. Peace and Love.

--
davide