Subsurface-mobile, next round - Android 4.3

Willem Ferguson willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za
Sat Apr 15 05:19:31 PDT 2017

Subsurface-mobile 6.4.3.243 on a Samsung S3 running Android 4.3

Testing the various parts of the programme gave a result identical in
all ways to the test I did using Android 6.01, except for the few notes
below. This should be a big relief.

1) As with Android 6.01, problems were a) Cylinder change icon size, b)
off-centre list of GPS fixes, c) GPS uploads that hang, d) deleting dive
from dive details view.

2) When accessing the user manual or the dive site map and upon
termination of these services (i.e. when the user manual is closed or
Google Maps is closed) subsurface-mobile restarts, opening the dive
list. In Android 6.01 I did not see that, or it happened to quickly to
be visible on the screen. I suspect this is not a problem, just a
reflection of the slow CPU.

3) When accessing the dive location on from the list of fixes, Google
Maps mostly closes without starting Subsurface-mobile again.

There are a number of small improvements that I will bring up later, but
these are not relevant now, except for one:

It should be pretty simple to install the user manual on the phone
itself and access the manual located on the phone without having to load
it through the Internet. For software that makes explicit provision for
use of the software at dive sites where there is no Internet, it just
makes sense to have the user manual on-board.

Kind regards,
willem