Failing to connect to shearwater perdix on linux with subsurface

Robert Sevat robert at indylix.nl
Tue Apr 18 10:44:30 PDT 2017

On 04/18/2017 04:45 AM, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 17, 2017 at 3:28 PM, Robert Sevat <robert at indylix.nl> wrote:
>> I am unable to setup a bluetooth connection with subsurface to my
>> shearwater perdix on linux. I've run out of troubleshooting ideas. Maybe
>> you guys have some pointers/ideas.
> This looks like the BLE version (Bluetooth LE, aka 4.0), rather than rfcomm.
>
>> [NEW] Primary Service
>>     /org/bluez/hci0/dev_E2_70_EE_3B_89_1E/service000a
>>     00001801-0000-1000-8000-00805f9b34fb
>>     Generic Attribute Profile
> The above looks very much like a GATT thing, not a rfcomm thing. Which
> is how the BLE thing works, but we don't support it under Subsurface
> yet.
>
>> It fails to setup the RFCOMM connection on channels 1-6, nor is it able
>> to lookup what channel it should be. It gets 'host is down'.
> Yeah, there's no traditional RFCOMM there at all, afaik. So you
> apparently have one of the newer Perdix ones that have new bluetooth.
>
>                Linus
Yea I can confirm that it's bluetooth 4.0, the bluetooth adapter
supplied with the perdix has "CSR 4.0" written on it. Also upon googling
that I found this link:

https://www.shearwater.com/troubleshooting/new-perdix-v44-wont-connect/

"If Firmware ends with: BT##, this means it is a Bluetooth Low Energy
only Perdix. (In Example: "Firmware: v44/BT04" -> This Perdix is Low
Energy only)"

Which is exactly the firmware version that I have.

If there is anything I can do to speedup/aid development of support for
this new bluetooth version, please let me know. I'm more than willing to
test out new versions or help debug. I might even have a crack at it
myself. From briefly staring at the source I am guessing that this file:
"subsurface/core/qtserialbluetooth.cpp" needs to be updated? Seems like
QT already supports bluetooth 4.0 LE. So I guess it should be fairly
straight forward? I am a bit of a cpp noob though, so if I could assist
someone I'd be much quicker :P

Kind Regards,
Robert Sevat