preparing for a 4.6.4

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Wed Apr 19 07:43:39 PDT 2017

On Wed, Apr 19, 2017 at 03:08:42PM +0200, Anton Lundin wrote:
> On 18 April, 2017 - Dirk Hohndel wrote:
>
> > I know, we've spent all this time on Subsurface-mobile and the bugs there
> > still aren't fully understood (let alone fixed). But I can't forget about
> > our main app again - and we really need to get an update out to our users
> > with the fixed libdivecomputer.
> >
> > I have two options. I can do a quick new build that uses the new
> > libdivecomputer and the Subsurface that we used for 4.6.3. Or I can use
> > the current master and stabilize this.
> >
> > The advantage of the first option is that we had really really complete
> > translations for that. The advantage of the second option is that we'd get
> > the other new things out to our users, including all the fixes to the
> > planner, the manual entry of depth and duration, etc.
> >
> > I'm kinda leaning towards the second option but that means we need to
> > spend a week or two, focused on testing the latest master and finishing
> > the translations, again. If people have strong feelings one way or
> > another, please speak up.
> >
> > I'll do new "daily" builds next and also make sure that all the source
> > strings are pushed to Transifex, just in case.
> >

> Why not do both?
>
> Roll a 4.6.3.1 (or something) Now, with just libdivecomputer patches,
> and when we got something stable, roll a 4.6.4?

That would be a 4.6.4 and 4.6.5 (because... reasons - actually, because we
use the fourth digit for the number of commits since a release).

The reason I don't just "do a release" is that while this may be invisible
to most of you, there is actually a good bit of work involved for me to
make a release. And so I was trying to see if the translators would be up
to doing a 4.6.4 or if there were other considerations to take into
account. "why don't you just do all that work twice, Dirk" wasn't really
part of my plan...