QtLocation map updates

Lubomir I. Ivanov neolit123 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 1 11:57:31 PDT 2017

On 1 August 2017 at 21:44, Linus Torvalds <torvalds at linux-foundation.org> wrote:
> On Aug 1, 2017 11:07, "Lubomir I. Ivanov" <neolit123 at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> my local distributor is not responding.
>
> it seems that users from the US get better (special) support here:
> http://support.esri.com/en/contact-tech-support
>

> Ugh. I really hoped that the QtLocation thing would mean that we'd get away
> from a questionably maintained third party issue. But it seems we just
> replaced it with another.

me too, but it seems that Qt Location is still the better choice over Marble.

> I suspect this may be one of those half intentional things (or at least "we
> don't care too deeply, sorry"), and the eventual reply will be about putting
> people towards the paid for "real" ESRI service.

only some tiles are wrong from Miika's case and we haven't found any
other problems apart from the "missing tiles" on deep zoom levels,
which tolerable and an issue for the Qt  team (e.g. "keep last zoom
level tiles if no further zoom level tiles are available). the wrong
tiles are broken on ESRI level and they should fix them ASAP if they
want reliable maps (i.e. that's a serious problem). our problem is
that we cannot report them to ESRI as they don't have a good
user/customer support.

like i've mentioned - someone from the US should get in contact with them.
we need this channel of communication if we find more bad tiles.

> Was there some way to just use Google tiles? Even if it means bit having
> caching, maybe it's the right thing to do. Better quality, and not the third
> party badly supported issues...

it's possible and i have this planned, but it seems that writing a
custom plugin for fetching tiles (e.g. from google) isn't exactly
easy.
on a quick look it seems like more work than our current Qt Location widget.

also, the QtGroundControl Google maps plugin that Tomaz suggested and
which already does that, apparently cannot be build on Windows with
MINGW as it requires MSVC.

lubomir