QtLocation map updates

Lubomir I. Ivanov neolit123 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 1 14:55:36 PDT 2017

On 1 August 2017 at 23:52, Linus Torvalds <torvalds at linux-foundation.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 1, 2017 at 12:34 PM, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:
>>
>> I seriously doubt that. It's just something that no one has brought to their
>> attention. ESRI is very proud of the quality of their maps - I'm quite
>> certain that they will fix this once they realize the problem.
>
> Do you seriously think they have "quality maps" if we find problems
> like this in a couple of *days* with just a small handful of users?
>
> To me that just absolutely screams "major quality issues".
>
> I hope you're right, but I think you're being very optimistic. Maybe
> we just _happened_ to find one very odd and unusual case.
>
> Or maybe their open maps really just aren't very good.
>
> I guess we'll know soon enough, when we see what their reaction is to
> bug reports, assuming somebody finds some way to get any reaction from
> them.

well, here are some good news!

someone already did this:
https://github.com/vladest/googlemaps

not sure how i've missed that in the google search results????

and it works; at least after testing it for 10 minutes - more zoom
levels, no missing tiles, offline caching, terrain / hybrid maps:
https://gifyu.com/images/google_maps_provider.gif

the source code is MIT licensed. the last update is from the 10th of
June and is to make it work with Qt 5.9.
i was able to build it without a problem on Windows using Qt 5.9.0.

it requires a small patch in MapWidget.qml (attached).

we have some options with this:
- include this plugin's source into the Subsurface repository
it's qmake based so it needs a cmake port (or does it?). this would
allow us to build it everytime Subsurface is built.
- fork it as a Subsurface github organization project
this means that the source needs to be pulled and build using build.sh.

for both cases i'm not sure about the deployment process. right now
i'm manually copying a DLL inside the Qt-HOME/plugins/geoservices
folder.

lubomir