QtLocation map updates

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Tue Aug 1 17:40:10 PDT 2017

> On Aug 1, 2017, at 5:14 PM, Lubomir I. Ivanov <neolit123 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 2 August 2017 at 01:49, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:
>>
>> Nice. I would love to be able to see if this could be made to work with
>> Qt 5.7 (or even better 5.6) - otherwise we are leaving a lot of distributions
>> behind. Requiring 5.9 is no problem for Windows and Mac, but for the
>> various Linux distros (about 20% or so of our users) it's a no go. Most
>> are not even on 5.8 at this point.
>
> i quickly browsed the source and i can't find some of those new 5.9
> signals that were breaking the build with Qt 5.7.
> maybe you can try building the plugin with the older Qt?

I will play with that

>> Lubomir, are you going to send a PR for this? What are the next steps?
>
> in my previous email i included a patch which is enough to enable this
> on the subsurface side (attaching again).

Yes, that part is 'easy'. The hard part is how do we get this plugin built
for all of our various platforms.

> but...this has to be decided i guess (i.e. how are we going to build
> this plugin):
>
>> we have some options with this:
>> - include this plugin's source into the Subsurface repository
>> it's qmake based so it needs a cmake port (or does it?). this would
>> allow us to build it everytime Subsurface is built.

We tried this with Kirigami in the beginning and that was a pain - of course
this doesn't appear to be a very active project... but still

>> - fork it as a Subsurface github organization project
>> this means that the source needs to be pulled and build using build.sh.

That seems like a better idea to me.

>> for both cases i'm not sure about the deployment process. right now
>> i'm manually copying a DLL inside the Qt-HOME/plugins/geoservices
>> folder.

And that is the part that will have to painstakingly be figured out for
all of the various combinations of platforms and constraints that we
have...

Still, I see this plugin as the best approach at this stage.