Qt 5.9 openssl problems on F26

Thiago Macieira thiago at macieira.org
Sat Aug 5 21:16:56 PDT 2017

On Saturday, 5 August 2017 20:54:59 PDT Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Aug 5, 2017 20:48, "Thiago Macieira" <thiago at macieira.org> wrote:
>
> From the Qt Project's point of view, it's a new feature, so it was added to
> the devleopment branch. But it seems the patch is clean enough to be
> backported if a Linux distribution wants it for its purposes.
>
> Christ, you people have some odd ideas about "new features". Like that
> while "it compiles" thing. Small new feature, that.

I agree on the "it compiles", but those at fault are the OpenSSL developers
for suddenly breaking source compatibility with no grace period.  See
https://www.mail-archive.com/tech@openbsd.org/msg36437.html for someone else
complaining about the same issue (no, not Theo).

>From Qt's point of view, it's a large refactoring of a central piece of
technology. We couldn't add it to the stable release without further testing.
Timing also didn't help: Qt 5.9 had already been feature frozen for almost two
months when the patch was first uploaded (no idea when the author first began
working on it).

> Can you point me to the actual patch that is clean enough to backport?

Lubomir sent the link, which includes all 63 iterations of the patch:
	https://codereview.qt-project.org/189399

Patch and diff links in
http://code.qt.io/cgit/qt/qtbase.git/commit/?
id=cfbe03a6e035ab3cce5f04962cddd06bd414dcea