Qt 5.9 openssl problems on F26

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Wed Aug 23 13:55:26 PDT 2017

On Aug 23, 2017 13:43, "Thiago Macieira" <thiago at macieira.org> wrote:

There's also a licensing component here. One cannot distribute GPLv2-only
software linking to OpenSSL 1.1.

Don't buy into the crazy FSF crap. It's bullshit, and it's just a bedtime
story made up by the FSF to try to push their agenda and try to convince
people that GPLv3 solves some problems.

OpenSSL uses the Apache 2.0 license, and Apache is very clear that they
consider it compatible with GPLv2.

To quote the Apache people from *their* license page:

 "Despite our best efforts, the FSF has never considered the Apache License
to be compatible with GPL version 2, citing the patent termination and
indemnification provisions as restrictions not present in the older GPL
license. The Apache Software Foundation believes that you should always try
to obey the constraints expressed by the copyright holder when
redistributing their work."

That's basically saying that the Apache people are ok with the GPLv2
combination, and they are saying that you should listen to the copyright
holder (which is not the FSF when it comes to subsurface).

It's literally the FSF being crazy (not the first time) and trying to push
their agenda (also not the first time).

Note the " despite our best efforts" language. The Apache people gave up on
the FSF.

        Linus