Android app

Jan Mulder jlmulder at xs4all.nl
Mon Aug 28 06:33:29 PDT 2017

On 27-08-17 08:23, Dirk Hohndel wrote:
> I pushed the latest version (with quite a few Kirigami updates) to both downloads/test and Google Play Beta.
> I'll need to redo all the screen shots. Again. But I really think the look is coming together.
>
> Jocke and Jan - are you still working on the UI? There were still a few things that needed updates, especially the entering of credentials...

Just back from 2.5 weeks over exploratory cave diving, and just starting
to pick up the pieces. Currently, no UI relating things done, but
already did some cleanup related to the very confusing credential state
processing. I feel that this needs to be done first before touching the
UI in this area.

> It would be nice to get Subsurface-mobile on Android to a stage where we feel good to do a release.

During my trip, I used a self built app version -719, and I like to
share some experiences.

1) Obviously, my fellow cave explorers are impressed by the flawlessly
working BT interfacing right after the dive :-)

2) As I always have Bluetooth off, I have to restart the app with it
switched on in 100% of the cases. I simply forget to switch it on
before. I will open a issue for this. Not important for every user, but
it annoys me big time.

3) On my 5.5" phone (so not a huge device), I had problems typing in
notes. Things get confusing when the notes are longer than the room
available. It does not auto scroll while typing (so typing in the
blind), it sometimes just stops editing (having to redo it), but a
workaround for me worked. Add just a short note, save the dive and edit
the notes in a second pass. I believe the UI/QML needs some work here.

4) I like the "autocomplete" for buddies. But something similar for
divesites would be nice.

--jan