QtQuick 2.6 on Ubuntu

Willem Ferguson willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za
Sun Dec 3 09:36:53 PST 2017

On 03/12/2017 18:23, Dirk Hohndel wrote:
>> On Dec 3, 2017, at 7:00 AM, Lubomir I. Ivanov <neolit123 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> i would uninstall the 5.5.x libraries completely and install the newer version.
> In all honesty, I would not recommend uninstalling the system libraries...
> You can easily build against a local version of Qt (so install 5.9.3 in your
> home directory and build Subsurface against that - that's easy). But
> replacing the system libraries? Something is bound to break.
Thnaks, noted.
>> this patch by Jan introduced 2.6 in all QML files.
>> https://github.com/Subsurface-divelog/subsurface/commit/f3d978b8a5fb6511aa0c1c611cf9b0394fdc125b
>>
>> i do not understand what this artifact in question is but this limits
>> the scope of our Qt to at least Qt 5.6.x.
>>
>> QtQuick versions info:
>> Qt 5.5 -> QtQuick 2.5
>> Qt 5.6 -> QtQuick 2.6
>> Qt 5.7 -> QtQuick 2.7
>> .
> We need 5.6 for Bluetooth to work reasonably well on most platforms.
> But anyway, Willem, you could try changing all the references to QtQuick
> in the QML files back to 2.5 and see if that works of if we are actually using
Did this on the three qml files related to the map, and it built against
QtQuick 2.5. (sigh if relief). Maps are back.
> a QtQuick 2.6 feature...
>
> Willem, you mention the PPA only has 4.7.2 - I know that I pushed 4.7.4
> and a quick look at the Launchpad website seems to indicate that indeed
> 4.7.4 is there.

See attached image. Ubuntu has its own mind. Sometimes it presents the
latest versions of software only to the latest versions of Ubuntu. Qt is
a good example (5.5 on 16.04).

Question. When I download Qt5.>5 from the Qt website it produces an
enormous installation that installs anywhere where one would like to
have it on the Linux system. It does not install like a apt-get install
would do it in the system area. So, to work with Subsurface, is it ok to
download the full Qt and put in src? I did that once with a miniscule
skeleton of Qt5.8 to get Subsurface-mobile to build with Q5.8.

Kind regards,
willem

Please refer to
http://upnet.up.ac.za/services/it/documentation/docs/004167.pdf for full