Subsurface-mobile 2.0.1 and Subsurface 4.7.5

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Thu Dec 7 09:34:52 PST 2017

> On Dec 7, 2017, at 11:23, Lubomir I. Ivanov <neolit123 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> how can i help with the release notes?

I need to write a release announcement. I haven’t had enough time this morning to look into this - I’ve been fighting with screen shots for the iOS app for two hours. What fun.

> isn't what's in our CHANGELOG.md sufficient? i know about at least a
> couple of changes that were not mentioned there.

That’s part of it - make sure all relevant changes are mentioned.
Sort them for what’s relevant to mobile vs desktop
And then... do we want to collate them back into ReleaseNotes.txt when we do a release?

> should we just copy that to a new section near the top of ReleaseNotes.txt?
> given we have the "Some of the changes since" formatting in there i'm
> not sure how to proceed.

For Subsurface-mobile 2.0.1 it’s complicated, but for 4.7.5 it should be just that section.

> also i just merged a change from Robert.
> should we consider an email from you like the above as the actual
> master branch LOCK until the next release happens?

Yes, that would have been nice. I think the builds that I have will work for the release, but it would have been nice to not merge things without an approval from me while I’m in the middle of doing a release.
95% of the time others merging things is really making my life easier. There are a few exceptions.
- don’t merge things unless you are super certain that this is the right thing or unless other maintainers have approved (this has lead to one revert recently)
- please don’t merge things that clearly fall into someone else’s area of expertise without their feedback (I try not to touch the planner / deco calculation without Robert commenting - or Windows internals without you commenting - or core data structures without a comment from Linus, etc.)
- when I start talking about getting ready for a release (which I usually do about a week before I think I’ll be making the release), SLOW DOWN. Pay attention to new strings and alert me to new strings, ideally right away so we give the translators a chance. Don’t merge changes that change the UI without talking to me. And usually, also check with Willem on that in case we need new screen shots.
- if something breaks a build and you merge it, then please fix it (I’ve done that, so I’m adding it explicitly)