Subsurface-mobile 2.0.1 and Subsurface 4.7.5

Lubomir I. Ivanov neolit123 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 7 10:59:50 PST 2017

On 7 December 2017 at 20:26, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:

>> On Dec 7, 2017, at 12:09, Lubomir I. Ivanov <neolit123 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I need to write a release announcement. I haven’t had enough time this morning to look into this - I’ve been fighting with screen shots for the iOS app for two hours. What fun.

>>> That’s part of it - make sure all relevant changes are mentioned.
>>
>> ok, i will now go through the commits and see what is missing and add
>> it. question about RleaseNotes.txt format bellow.
>> we should require PRs to always add notes to CHANGELOG.md before
>> accepting the PR.
>
> Yes, we should.
>
>>> Sort them for what’s relevant to mobile vs desktop
>>> And then... do we want to collate them back into ReleaseNotes.txt when we do a release?
>>>

>> i'm not sure TBH. i would move what has accumulated in CHANGELOG.md to
>> ReleaseNotes.txt.
>> normally projects only have a CHENGELOG.md file, but we are using
>> asciidoc/a2x for the .txt.
>>
>> so in our case we need an extra step.
>>
>> i think the formatting of ReleaseNotes.txt has to be changed from:
>> "Some of the changes since _Subsurface_ 4.7.4"
>>
>> to (the old format):
>> "New in version 4.7.5" / : "Changes in 4.7.5"
>
> Oh, good. I like that (says the person who started what’s now in ReleaseNotes.txt)

i went through the commits and this is what i ended up with - attached patch.

    - Minor formatting changes (to the release notes lines - e.g.
consistent "Subsurface-mobile:")
    - Added a couple of missing notes
    - Make the ReleaseNotes.txt format to indicate the latest
    version on top

Here is a quick write up based on the previous one:

Announcing Subsurface 4.7.5

This version of Subsurface makes a set of improvements in the
Bluetooth integration, the planner, the map widget and the dive photo
user interface.

Some of the changes in Subsurface 4.7.5:

- Compute plan variations in background to improve responsiveness
- Improve profile rescaling in planner
- Store the gas switch depth of a cylinder from the planner in the logbook
  file or git storage. No more need to reenter this value on replanning.
- Improved handling of different information (divemaster, buddy, suit, notes)
  when merging two dives.
- Limit min. GFlow to 10 and min. GFhigh to 40 in preferences for profile
  and planner
- Fix issues related to debug logging on Windows
- Add "Bluetooth mode" in the BT selection dialog: Auto, LE, Classical
- Correct display of cylinder pressures for merged dives
- Allow user defined cylinders as default in preferences
- Tag-editing: comma entry shows all tags (again)
- Printing: the bundled templates are now read-only and are always overwritten
  by the application. The first time the user runs this update, backup files
  of the previous templates would be created
- Fix issues with filters not updating after changes to the dive list
- Map-widget: allow updating coordinates on the map when the user
  is editing a dive site by pressing Enter or clicking a "flag" button
- Map-widget: prevent glitches when the user is interacting with the map
  while animations are in progress
- Planner: don't accidentally enable o2breaks option when entering planner in
  recreational mode
- Various small improvements in the dive photo UI

Binaries are available for Windows, Mac, and an AppImage for x86-64 Linux.
Distribution specific binaries for a number of Linux flavors including
<list ?> are available too.

^ i would also add this:

Our build system now supports a continuous build which allows you to
run the latest development version for testing purposes:
https://github.com/Subsurface-divelog/subsurface/releases/tag/continuous
NOTE: Could be unstable, use at your own risk!

>> understood - that's what i said last time, but still merged things. ugh.
>> perhaps "the merge window is now closed" notification would make it
>> more clear to everyone.
>
> But we don’t have a formal merge window, and we don’t have a process
> where we do RCs after the merge window. All I’m hoping for is a bit of
> stability / quiet in the repo while I’m literally trying to get to a release.
> And of course, I myself am the worst offender...
>
>> one problem he have is that not all collaborators review and small PRs
>> tend to collect dust.
>
> Everyone here volunteers whatever time they are comfortable with.
> I try to comment on every PR within a day or two. I’d love it if others
> did more, but I’m grateful for what everyone is able to contribute.
>
>> always a couple of people reviewing a PR, one being a maintainer is of
>> course the ideal scenario, but we only have that something like 30% of
>> the time.
>>
>> maybe we should always wait for a couple of people approving a PR.
>
> This is why I hate black and white rules.
> Many cleanups are obviously correct (removing an unused variable as
> an extreme case). Why would that wait for a review?
> On the flip side, especially things that change the UI, change core data
> structures... those really should get a review or two.

maybe in time the rules and formal rules will establish them self -
i.e. "learn as we go".
yes, the "always 2 people reviewing" scenario is ideal, but overkill
for all commits.

lubomir