Problems building Subsurface for Android

Anton Lundin glance at acc.umu.se
Thu Feb 2 12:35:01 PST 2017

On 02 February, 2017 - Dirk Hohndel wrote:

> > Yea, everything is based on lots of assumptions. I wrote that script to
> > make it possible for others than me to build the apk's , and at least
> > both Dirk and Jocke have managed to build apk's so it can't be that
> > broken.
>
> It isn't. It just doesn't document all of its assumptions

I thought most if it was documented in packaging/android/README . It
could check its prerequsits and give better error messages.

> > And for everyone who tries to write a shellscript, you might think you
> > know what you're doing, and you most probably don't. Please use
> > https://www.shellcheck.net/ before you end up doing rm -rf / directory.
>
> I suck at writing shell scripts. More than I suck at writing QML. That
> said, what else should I be doing in order to make things easier for more
> people to contribute?

Use shellcheck, centralize and don't over-use shell. Those are my
recommendations about shell.

We can't solve everything with creating another tool. That way we soon
have our own subsurface-developer-distro, which you might need a whole
on-prem-cloud to run.

If our documentation is wrong, out of date, or just hard to read, we
should fix that. If the tools we use gives non-explanatory error
messages, we should fix those. If some people need help and guidance, we
should try to provide that.

If you can write fix-my-bug.sh and implement-my-feature.sh I would be
impressed, but I hope no one expects you to.

//Anton

--
Anton Lundin	+46702-161604