Subsurface deco calculations

Robert Helling helling at atdotde.de
Fri Feb 3 23:24:30 PST 2017

Good morning,

its so great to have somebody at the antipodes looking into things while you are asleep. Thank you Rick!

> On 04.02.217, at 07:27, Rick Walsh <rickmwalsh at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I hope you had a nice dive with the threshers.  If you can have a beer at the Craic House (Evolution) and tell Dannie I say hi.
>
> I can see why the OSTC Sport is giving greater tissue saturation and deco, and it has nothing to do with how the deco calculations are performed.  The problem is that the xml references a cylinder with index 1, but you only have one cylinder defined (index 0), so it looks (without checking the code) like Subsurface is assuming any undefined cylinder contains air.
>
> The xml entry for the Suunto Vyper Air specifies a change to cylinder 0 (which is EAN32) at the start of the dive on lines 22 and 23:
>   <event time='0:00 min' type='25' flags='1' name='gaschange' cylinder='0' o2='32.0%' />
>   <event time='0:00 min' type='25' value='32' name='gaschange' cylinder='0' o2='32.0%' />
>
> The xml entry for the OSTC specifies a change to cylinder 1 on lines 158 and 159
>   <event time='0:02 min' type='25' flags='2' name='gaschange' cylinder='1' />
>   <event time='0:02 min' type='25' value='32' name='gaschange' cylinder='1' />
>
> The Suunto Stinger log does not specify a gas change at all, so the default is the only defined cylinder, which contains EAN32.
>
> Could I guess you had at least two gasses defined in the OSTC that were downloaded, the second (index 1) of which was EAN32?  You could have then merged the dives and deleted the unused gas/ses, but the OSTC profile was still referencing cylinder 1.
>
> Maybe the default assumed value for an unknown cylinder would be cylinder 0, and if no cylinders are defined, THEN default to air.

Indeed, changing the two cylinder=‘1’ to cylinder=‘0’ in the xml makes the there deco calculations look very similar. That must be the problem.

When did you do the merging? In the last 48h, I messed with the code that handles cylinders when merging dives, could I have screwed up there?

Best
Robert
                      Scientific Coordinator
                      Phone: +49 89 2180-4523  Theresienstr. 39, rm. B339
                      http://www.atdotde.de

Enhance your privacy, use cryptography! My PGP keys have fingerprints
A9D1 A01D 13A5 31FA 6515  BB44 0820 367C 36BC 0C1D    and
DCED 37B6 251C 7861 270D  5613 95C7 9D32 9A8D 9B8F