Quirks of the Subsurface dive planner: Merging a dive and its dive plan

Willem Ferguson willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za
Sat Feb 4 06:19:34 PST 2017

On 04/02/2017 15:31, Robert Helling wrote:
> Willem,
>
>> On 30.01.2017, at 07:44, Willem Ferguson
>> <willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za
>> <mailto:willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za>> wrote:
>>
>> In short, there are two problems: 1) The order in which the gases are
>> entered in the cylinder table has an effect on the rendering of the
>> data; 2) when saving a plan and re-opening and editing it in the dive
>> planner, the gas changes are forgotten. Below are some images of a
>> stereotyped dive plan using the above approach.
>
> I just issued a pull request on Github that I hope addresses all the
> issues you reported. Could you please verify?
>
> Please see https://github.com/Subsurface-divelog/subsurface/pull/191
>
> Thanks
> Robert
Robert,
Just did a number of tests to merge dives and their dive plans. Gave it
a fairly thorough test I believe, merging seven dives and their plans
during my last dive trip. Everything is ok as far as I can see. I think
you pulled a rabbit out of a hat. Thanks.

Two comments on the above:
1) A very small issue, also depends on personal preferences. After a
merge, the deepest depth of the two profiles are shown in the dive
table. This is likely to throw off the statistics for real dives. My
personal preference would be to show the depth of the first dive, even
if the dive plan may have been for a dive 4 or 5 meters deeper. In my
case the first dive is the real dive and the second one is the dive plan.

2) In the dive notes the concatenation of notes for the real dive and
for the dive plan are done as (Real dive notes) or (Dive plan text)
The text in red, above, is actually printed as part of the dive notes.

I will keep an eye on the the latest pull request of yours and respond.
Thank you for your time.
Kind regards,
willem