Downloading FTDI dive log using desktop Subsurface on Android

Willem Ferguson willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za
Wed Feb 8 00:33:32 PST 2017

On 08/02/2017 08:43, Anton Lundin wrote:
> As far as I've remember, thats a libdivecomputer issue. You should
> probably send a trace log to Jef and he can help us figure out whats
> going on. Maybe I've done something stupid in the custom-serial layer
> which corrupts the data, or maybe its a parsing error in
> libdivecomputer. Anyway, we probably need Jef's help to figure that one
> out.

Will follow up with Jef.
> The permissions handling and device node open is done in a completely
> different way on Android.
>
> All the usb vid/pid's we support needs to be listed in the manifest.
> Make sure the vid/pid for your usb-chip is listed in
> android/res/xml/device_filter.xml

The vid/pid is set up correctly. It uses the Oceanic vid/pid as already
supplied in device-filter.xml.
I have double-checked this using lsusb with the dc connected via the USB
hub.

> The ftdi on android code is as far as I've know compliant with the
> android sdk/ndk api's, and doesn't really use anything it shouldn't.
> That said, there might be something in the I've missed, which breaks on
> a specific vendor implementation of hal/usb on some devices. There might
> also be something that broke in newer Android version. Last time I
> tested this was on a Nexus 5 running ... KitKat or Lollipop.
>
> My current phone is seriously b0rked, and doesn't do USB-OTG so I can't
> really test it. I'd might need to borrow my wife's phone and see if that
> can be tricked into doing USB-OTG and test the ftdi code on.
>
> I could probably test it in a emulator to, but that hal is probably even
> simpler and more standard so I bet it already works there. Goldfish ftw.

I have no idea how OTG handles different uses of the USB port. There are
several other processes that use the same port, e.g. Linux access of the
phone for accessing files on the phone; Android debug bridge outputting
process information via this port, etc. I have no idea if any of these
processes block other Android software from using the port. In theory,
OTG should be able to handle all these problems automatically. Currently
I have Android Developer Options disabled, which hopefully means that
adb access to the port does not occur.

> //Anton - there's some complexity to this...

Kind regards,

willem