Subsurface deco calculations

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Wed Feb 8 13:53:43 PST 2017

On Wed, Feb 08, 2017 at 09:36:48PM +0100, Robert Helling wrote:
> Linus,
>
> > On 08 Feb 2017, at 21:31, Linus Torvalds <torvalds at linux-foundation.org> wrote:
> >
> > Yeah, it looked to me that everything that that code was doing was now
> > handled automatically by the improved cylinder merging code.
> >
> > So I _think_ it all works, but somebody who actually uses the planner
> > should very much check.
>
> from what I see, in the matching you only look at the gas percentages
> but not at the content (start/end pressures and sizes). In Willem’s case
> that wouldn’t be good enough. I would say, don’t merge cylinders if both
> have start and end pressures and they differ. And in merging don’t
> overwrite valid start/end pressures by zero.

This is an interesting question. I always dive with at least two
computers, and also at least two, sometimes three gas integrated computers
(yes, I have an HP-Y-splitter that allows me to connect to transmitters
and my hose-based Cobalt II to my first stage). So just because we have
different start and end pressures should NOT stop us from merging dives.

Maybe we should consider having "per divecomputer" cylinder information?

I haven't thought this through, just throwing it out there...