Subsurface deco calculations

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Wed Feb 8 14:30:47 PST 2017

On Wed, Feb 8, 2017 at 1:53 PM, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:

> This is an interesting question. I always dive with at least two
> computers, and also at least two, sometimes three gas integrated computers
> (yes, I have an HP-Y-splitter that allows me to connect to transmitters
> and my hose-based Cobalt II to my first stage). So just because we have
> different start and end pressures should NOT stop us from merging dives.

That won't be an issue. The sample data pressure will not affect
merging. Only if somebody manually adds (different) start/end
pressures would a slightly enhanced model go "let's not merge these,
it would drop information".

> Maybe we should consider having "per divecomputer" cylinder information?

That would honestly make many things much simpler from a technical angle.

I'm just not sure it would be very useful in practice. Because what
people want is to see the unified picture. Not just in the equipment
tab, but also for each dive computer: it's still very unusual to have
one dive computer having multiple sensors, but having different dive
computers giving part of the picture is not that crazy.

So we have all that logic exactly so that if you get pressure
information from one dive computer for one cylinder, and from another
dive computer (or manually entered) for another cylinder, you can see
both pressures at the same time.

But yes, having per-dc cylinder information would be *so* much simpler
for merging. I just think it would be very annoying to use.

                Linus