Downloading FTDI dive log using desktop Subsurface on Android

Willem Ferguson willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za
Thu Feb 9 07:31:55 PST 2017

I got a OTG cable today, and *in principle* I downloaded the dives from
the Tusa Zen dive computer to deskstop-Subsurface running on Android.
The OTG cable is a simple single-cable with a micro-USB plug and a
female full-sized USB plug.

Hardware:

I managed to plug the FTDI cable of the DC straight into the OTG cable.
Android immediately recognised the FTDI device and asked to open
Subsurface. I also used a normal (non-OTG) USB hub. Connected the hub to
the OTG cable and the DC FTDI cable to the hub. It worked exactly as in
the previous case.

Software.

Upon hitting the Download button on the Download panel, all the dives on
the DC downloaded to Subsurface, showing in the download table and with
the checkboxes for all dives activated. However, due to screen
restrictions on the cell phone, I could not scroll to the Ok button to
accept all the dives into the dive log. I had a Bluetooth mouse paired
with the phone to navigate the small screen but this did not allow me to
scroll the screen. >However, this appears pretty positive.

I am occupied with family affairs this weekend so will not have time to
do more. However I will take the phone, Android software, cable and DC
along to experiment.

Kind regards,

willem