Quirks of the Subsurface dive planner

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Mon Feb 13 12:18:35 PST 2017

On Mon, Feb 13, 2017 at 12:07 PM, Willem Ferguson
<willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za> wrote:

> Unwanted gas change events:
> ** I thought Linus resolved this matter when looking at Miika's case of two
> dive computers with clashing orders of cylinder definitions. At present, if
> I first define a cylinder with EAN50, then afterwards a cylinder with EAN32:
> if the first segment of the dive plan uses EAN32 (i.e. the second cylinder
> and gas definition in the Available Gases table), there is an unwanted gas
> change from EAN50 to EAN32 at the very start of the dive. Is there any way
> avoid creating this gas change event?

This is fundamentally how we say "this is the first cylinder you
used", unless that first cylinder is the actual first culinder.

In other words, if you start with EAN32, and it's the second cylinder
you have defined, then that gas change event is literally how we mark
that fact. So it's not "unwanted". It's telling you which cylinder you
started with.

In the profile, I think we hide gas changes happening in the first 30
seconds or so, so it shouldn't actually be visible there.

                   Linus