Translations

Tomaz Canabrava tcanabrava at kde.org
Tue Feb 14 03:09:27 PST 2017

Hello.

On Tue, Feb 14, 2017 at 11:47 AM, Martin Měřinský <mermar at centrum.cz> wrote:

> Hello,
> I have several translation questions/proposals.
>
> Why are there so many same strings?
> Eg. I found six <source>Weight</source>
> Or identical:
> <source>The following error occurred:</source>

Because they are used in different parts on the code.
We could do like android code that has a @ref for *every* text that you
need to look on a table and put in the correct part in the code, OR
use the text directly in the code, that's what we do. It's way easier to
program this way.

> <source>The following error occurred:</source>
> <source>Choose file for divecomputer download logfile</source>
> <source>Choose file for divecomputer download logfile</source>
> Etc.
>
> Would it be possible, to add ':' outside translated string? Or omit it?
> There are many strings like:
> Depth
> Depth:
>
> Please, omit LF charachters in strings whenever possible.
>
> There are many _almost_ identical strings, eg.:
> The archive could not be opened:⏎
> The archive could not be opened:⏎%1
> User survey
> Subsurface user survey
>
> If you need new string, please search existing strings first (use as
> least strings as possible). Eg. difference between
> "Upload finished" and "Upload successful" is minimal.

if we do this, then how you think we should use them on the code:
ui->messageBox(tr("The archive could not be opened");

in some *other* file:

ui->messageBox("The archive could not be opened");

The way that a few applications do, having a XML with all of the strings,
it's really a pain to work.

Best,
Tomaz