translations of the website

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Tue Feb 14 10:00:06 PST 2017

Hi Everyone,

I'm very happy how well the change to the content management for the
Subsurface-divelog.org website has worked out. Quite a few people have
contributed content and translations.

Similar to the program localization, the website localization and
translation has to stay an ongoing project. The website cannot and will
not stay static - and so I'd like to ask some of you who are fluent in our
key languages to spend just a few minutes "every once in a while" on
making sure that the translations stay current and correct.

On purely mechanical issues, I have tried to make this reasonably
automated. So version numbers, download links, etc, are centraly updated.
And I from time to time go through and try to update distribution versions
on the download pages in all languages, even the ones that I cannot even
read :-)

As I mentioned just a couple of days ago, besides English, German, French,
Spanish, Italian, Dutch, Polish, and Russian are our top languages. We
don't have the website translated to Dutch - the other languages we all
have, but in very different stages of maintenance. Spanish is in fantastic
shape, sometimes even ahead of English (thank you Salva for catching the
link on the home page). Based on just page structure and using the Chrome
page translation feature, it seems clear that some of the other languages
aren't quite as close to the English version.

So if you are fluent in one of these languages and have a few minutes...

Go to github and fork https://github.com/Subsurface-divelog/subsurface-website

You can then edit this right in the browser (and sorry, it's non-trivial
to make it possible to preview this in the website context), or you can
clone your own repo to your local computer and edit with your editor of
choice. And then create a pull request for me.

If you would love to help translate but this is something that feels too
technical, too complicated to you, then talk to us about other ways we can
make this easier. I can literally send you the current version in an
email, you can edit it, send it back and I take care of the rest.

Whatever works.

And before you ask - I have tried to figure out if we can use Transifex to
manage this translation project as well, but I find that system really
awkward when it comes to translating text as is found on a website. But
I'm happy to hear other ideas.

Thanks