Failed to parse XML

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Sun Feb 19 13:54:07 PST 2017

On Sun, Feb 19, 2017 at 09:23:41PM +0000, Pablo Wolter wrote:
> Today I tried to download a bunch of dives from my dive computer.
>
> I opened Subsurface and got a red error frame at the bottom saying it
> failed parsing my local XML  file.
>
> All my dives are gone. The application is empty.
>
> I remember a while ago I saw an email exchange about something like this
> due a change on the internal dives storage but can't find the emails.
>
> Do you remember how to solve this? Yes. I have not dived in a while .....

First thing to do... copy the XML file and the .bak file of the same name
to a different directory... just to be on the safe side.

Then... either run subsurface -v -v from the command line to see if you
can make sense of what's going on, or send the XML file to some of us so
we can take a look. Usual suspects would be Linus, Miika, and myself. I'm
sure between the three of us we can figure out what's going on.

For the record. We have every intention to have this NEVER happen.
Subsurface is supposed to ALWAYS be able to read older files. So I'd love
to figure out what's wrong, fix it, create a test for it... and then all
of that will make it into 4.6.3 :-)

(unless of course it's a random file corruption - we've seen those as well)

Thanks