Translations

Tim Wootton tim at tee-jay.org.uk
Mon Feb 20 06:18:47 PST 2017

> The Subsurface CodingStyle file provides this guidance for these
> situations:
>
>   Only the first word of multi-word text strings should be captalized
> unless
>   a word would normally be capitalized mid-sentance, like Africa. This
> applies
>   to all UI text including menus, menu items, tool-tips, button text
> and label
>   text etc. e.g. "Check for updates" rather than "Check for Updates".
>
>   Abbreviations should end with a period, e.g. "temp." not "temp" for
>   temperature.
>
> There doesn't seem to be a view on the full-stop (period) at the and
> of a sentence, perhaps we should add one, as the key here IMHO is
> consistency.
>
> cheers,
>
> Tim
>

> On 20/02/17 12:56, Stefan Fuchs wrote:
>>
>> Hello Martin,
>>
>> Am 14.02.2017 um 11:47 schrieb Martin Měřinský:
>>> Inconsistencies in source strings:
>>> ----------------------------------
>>> Send the dive data to divelogs.de website. (Ends with dot.)
>>> Send the dive data to dive-share.appspot.com website (No dot at the
>>> end.)
>>>
>>> Temp
>>> Temp.
>>> Max. depth
>>> max depth
>>> Please, either use with dot or don't.
>>>
>>> Dive Details
>>> Dive details
>>> Different letter case.
>>>
>>> Dive Master
>>> Divemaster
>>>
>>> maxdepth
>>> max depth
>>>
>>> [...]
>> I like your approach and even would like to add one more category of
>> items including a few examples:
>> For many strings it is also important to decide if the first word
>> should start with an upper case or lower case letter.
>> Example:
>> The information box in the profile.
>> From the code of profile.c:
>>
>>         put_format(b, translate("gettextFromC", "Calculated ceiling
>> %.0f%s\n"), depthvalue, depth_unit);
>>
>>                     put_format(b, translate("gettextFromC", "Tissue
>> %.0fmin: %.1f%s\n"), buehlmann_N2_t_halflife[k], depthvalue, depth_unit);
>>
>>         put_format(b, translate("gettextFromC", "heartbeat: %d\n"),
>> entry->heartbeat);
>>
>>         put_format(b, translate("gettextFromC", "bearing: %d\n"),
>> entry->bearing);
>>
>>         put_format(b, translate("gettextFromC", "mean depth to here
>> %.1f%s\n"), depthvalue, depth_unit);
>>
>> "Calculated", "Tissue" vs. "heartbeat", "bearing", "mean"
>>
>> Even in English language having everything upper case would look
>> better and be more correct there!?

>> On 20/02/17 13:52, Tim Wootton wrote:
>> >

>> > The Subsurface CodingStyle file provides this guidance for these
>> situations:
>> >
>> >   Only the first word of multi-word text strings should be
>> captalized unless
>> >   a word would normally be capitalized mid-sentance, like Africa.
>> This applies
>> >   to all UI text including menus, menu items, tool-tips, button
>> text and label
>> >   text etc. e.g. "Check for updates" rather than "Check for Updates".
>> >
>> >   Abbreviations should end with a period, e.g. "temp." not "temp" for
>> >   temperature.
>> >
>> > There doesn't seem to be a view on the full-stop (period) at the
>> and of a sentence, perhaps we should add one, as the key here IMHO is
>> consistency.
>> >
>> > cheers,
>> >
>> > Tim
Apologies for the earlier top-post. I should also have added that my
vote would be for full stops at the end of sentences in longer blocks of
text that contain more than one sentence (why wouldn't you), but from
the list above that would only be things like certain longer tool-tips
and labels. I'd prefer not to see them in menus, menu items or buttons.