testing smtk2ssrf_4.6.2-33-g14971e912875_x86_64-20170224.AppImage

Alessandro Volpi volpial at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 15:20:43 PST 2017

Dear Salva,

you will find the results of my latest testing run in directory
"testing_smtk2ssrf_4.6.2-33_on_F24_2 " at URL :
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/cvtjbg6n5f4dmfy/AADSUdZPgjbPtWil57JWKOOla?dl=0 .

The dive_log.slg file is not exactly equal to the previous versions, since
I have corrected the wrong input data (tanks description) in dive #456 .
Moreover I have amended other misspellings in the notes of several dives.

After my latest test run I am able to send you this message with my remarks
about the observed behavior of smtk2ssrf :

   1. Some "data format errors" are detected in a number of dives carried
   out with the old Aladin Air Z O2 ; nevertheless the profiles of said dives
   ( Dive #241 and older) seem to be error free. I guess that some samples are
   missing, but the general trend of the time/depth plot is practically
   unaffected.
   2. Special events in said dives are perfectly recorded. As i move the
   pointer to the "warning" yellow triangle a pop-up label appears showing the
   event type ( ascent, workload etc )
   3. No data format errors have been found in the dives logged with
   SmartTec, Galileo Sol and Galileo Trimix.
   4. The special events flags produced by the SmartTec device are simply
   IGNORED.
   5. The events produced by Galileo Sol and Galileo trimix are accurately
   recorded but their type is ignored. Moving the cursor on the red flags with
   diagonal white stripe results in a pop-up label with the "Bookmark"
   caption. Ascent and  workload warnings are thus labeled as "Bookmark" ;
   surprisingly the manually added Bookmarks are totally IGNORED.
   6. In my past test runs I have observed that the tank "description"
   field, although correct in most cases, is sometimes classified as "unknown"
   in spite of the presence of a reasonable tank description in the SmartTrak
   dive log. I was thinking that these glitches were somehow related to the
   type of dive computer and to the presence and the health of the pressure
   transmitter. This was DEFINITELY WRONG. The tank description is IGNORED
   when, and ONLY WHEN the Start and End pressure fields ARE LEFT EMPTY. This
   happened in some cases, as the pressure transmitter was not in use and the
   tank pressure values at the beginning and the end of the dive were not
   manually inserted. In most cases the missing pressure values were simply
   due to a missing or malfunctioning pressure transmitter. With SmartTrak it
   is impossible to manually insert the Start and End pressure values when the
   transmitter is paired with the computer and is not mounted on the tank or
   it is mounted but it is not working.
   7. The SmartTrak program always logs all tanks with a paired transmitter
   and all tanks whose O2 fraction has been defined, even if such tanks have
   not been actually used or brought during the dive. The smtk2ssrf program is
   obviously  also logging said tanks in the xml files. It is also not
   surprising that the description of said tanks is "unknown" when the Start
   and the End pressure are not recorded, either manually or by means of a
   working pressure transmitter.
   8. When the pressure transmitter is working or when the relevant
   pressure data of all tanks actually being used during a dive are manually
   inserted, the data import operation is carried out flawlessly.

As a conclusion I would like to add some comments about the practical use
of the pressure transmitters, even if this might be only marginally
pertinent in forum about subsurface development.

Most technical divers support the opinion that the pressure transmitter is
useless for multi-tanks dives. I am now diving with an Xdeep sidemount rig.
With such a rig you cannot mount the pressure transmitter on the body of
the regulator 1st stage; if you do so the pressure probe will be a pain in
the armpit, although not a pain in the ass ...

Linus Torvalds writes that the pressure transmitters are very useful for
dive log analysis, also when a multi tank rig is being used.

In principle I fully agree with this statement and I would add that, during
the dive, it is very handy to have a look to the Galileo tank pressure and
oxygen fraction summary table, rather than checking the pressure on
multiple SPGs. The calculated RBT value IS NOT very useful when you are
relying on multiple tanks, but the TANK SUMMARY TABLE IS !

Therefore I bought 4 expensive HP Y adapters for mounting the probes
together with the SPGs.

The problem with the pressure transmitter is that THEY ARE NOT RELIABLE.
They are always affected by random failures. If you send them back to the
manufacturer you will get them back with an invoice and with a ticket
saying that they are working great, but THEY ARE NOT !

After having exhausted my wallet buying new probes I have now decided to
get rid of them, since I have plenty of more serious sources of anger ...
and wrath !  Moreover when you are at depth, anything you cannot rely upon
is a not only A NUISANCE: it is a DANGER.

I will consider buying new transmitters when ultrasonic link devices will
supersede the unreliable VLF radios, specially if said devices will be
simply installed on the back of a regular SPG, avoiding the expensive and
cumbersome Y adapter !

BTW I have seen that somehow smtk2ssrf and subsurface are able to DETECT A
FLAWED PRESSURE probe. The Start and End pressure fields in the "Equipment"
 tab are filled with a pink background, when a transmitter is not working
properly: see dives  # 457,  458, 459, 464, 465, 466, 468, 469, 470, 472,
473, 478, 480, 481, 484 and 486.

It IS SPECIALLY REMARKABLE that subsurface IS DETECTING the malfunctioning
probes, whilst SmartTrak IS NOT !

Best regards.

Alessandro