testing smtk2ssrf_4.6.2-33-g14971e912875_x86_64-20170224.AppImage

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Tue Feb 28 15:35:02 PST 2017

On Tue, Feb 28, 2017 at 3:20 PM, Alessandro Volpi <volpial at gmail.com> wrote:

> I will consider buying new transmitters when ultrasonic link devices will
> supersede the unreliable VLF radios, specially if said devices will be
> simply installed on the back of a regular SPG, avoiding the expensive and
> cumbersome Y adapter !

I'm not sure it's ultrasonic vs VLF radios. I think it's more data
protocol and various power-saving logic details.

For example, from my fairly limited testing), I can say that the
old-style suunto pressure transmitters are garbage and fail all the
time. They fail by pairing to the wrong device, they fail by going
into power save mode (when the pressure doesn't change) and not coming
back when you start breathing, and they've just failed mechanically
too (ie water inside the sensor, leading to me just buying a new one).

And in contrast, the new transmitter for the Suunto EON Steel has
never failed for me (knock wood) in the roughly ~150 dives I've had
it. The older Suunto transmitter would failed maybe 10% of the dives I
used it on, although I could often fix it by figuring out the failure
pattern.

I think those are both RF, and the biggest difference is in the
pairing details (the EON Steel one you statically pair a particular
transmitter) and probably the communication protocol.

So even from the same vendor, there can be huge differences.

              Linus