suggested text changes for home page

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Tue Jan 3 03:19:56 PST 2017

> On Jan 3, 2017, at 12:58 AM, Anton Lundin <glance at acc.umu.se> wrote:
>
> On 02 January, 2017 - Dirk Hohndel wrote:
>

>>> On Jan 2, 2017, at 3:04 PM, Hartley Horwitz <hhrwtz at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I've attached a marked up file with a few minor suggestions for the Subsurface Home page.
>>
>> Thanks - these are all great ideas. I have rephrased this a little (to use more active language) and also made a few other edits to the page. Let me know if you like the results...
>>
>> As usual, I just edited the English page - the translations will get updated as the maintainers of the different languages find time.
>>
>>> I'm also considering some ideas for the FAQ.  I'd like to add a FAQ about the dive profile window, editing multiple dives, changing default tank and some of the things users may gloss over in the user manual.
>>
>> Sounds like you have great ideas how to make our documentation better.
>>
>> Thanks!
>
> One idea might be to move the home page to github pages, or atleast the
> source, and that way changes can be proposed by regular pull requests.
>
> The downside is that it requires us to migrate from wordpress to
> something else, like jekyll, or something else.

You have no idea how often I have looked for ways to connect our website
with our git repository. If I switch to jekyll I lose everything that I've done to
build the existing website (which I spent real money on to get a decent
design for).

My dream scenario would of course be something that pokes straight
at the wordpress database - because heck, how hard can that be?
Extract the active posts and dump their text into a directory full of plain
text files. And then sync changes to those text files back into the
database. Sounds easy, right? Except that when I tried this, I soon
ended up in the weeds and nothing worked.

I'll happily consider other options...