Using GitHub

Robert Helling helling at atdotde.de
Thu Jan 5 00:11:21 PST 2017

Willem,

> On 05 Jan 2017, at 07:29, Willem Ferguson <willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za> wrote:
>
> For those not familiar with GitHub, is it possible to write a brief text on how to use GitHub for Subsurface?
>
> How does one submit a patch? Does one have to do the edits online within GitHub inside a browser or can one upload files with changes? The tutorial is not clear.

just a quick summary. Please ask if any of the particular steps are not clear. In short: You work locally as before, only instead of creating patches and mailing them you do that via a github pull request.

What you need to get started is to create an account on github and then fork (via the button on the website) the main repository. Then you need to register that forked repository as a remote for your local repository (I do that via a graphical git program, but it can be done on the command line as well)

https://help.github.com/articles/adding-a-remote/ <https://help.github.com/articles/adding-a-remote/> (only replace „origin“ by something else like „github“).

The you create a branch in you local copy

git checkout -b my_new_feature_branch

and work on the code, commit etc. (If you already changed your local directory you still need to create a new branch and then add your commits to the new branch, use git cherrypick for that).

Once you are satisfied and want to send us your commits you push your new branch to github via (I do that with the GUI as well)

git push github my_new_feature_branch:my_new_feature_branch

The you go to the github web page again and select my_new_feature_branch. Finally, you click the „Pull request“ button and select the original subsurface repository as target. You can add comments and then create the pull request and you are done.

Best
Robert