User manual text for multiple users

Miika Turkia miika.turkia at gmail.com
Fri Jan 6 02:06:29 PST 2017

On Fri, Jan 6, 2017 at 9:40 AM, Willem Ferguson
<willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za> wrote:
> Below is some proposed text in the user manual for this topic. Please review
> because my understanding may be erroneous.
>
> ---------------------------------------
>
> == Several users of _Subsurface_ on one desktop computer
> A frequent need is for two or more persons to use _Subsurface_ on the same
> desktop computer. For instance
> members of a household may use the same computer. There are two approaches
> for doing this.

A quick look into the source code indicates that both of the described
methods assume that both users are using the same user account on OS
level. If they use different user accounts, then everything related to
the logs are totally independent managed by the OS and we do not need
to worry about them.

The idea of the --user parameter seems to be that we can differentiate
user specific settings (that are not stored on the xml log file)
within same OS level user account. I.e. I did a quick test and when I
give --user=test as parameter to Subsurface, I end up having following
user specific settings file:
/home/miika/.config/Subsurface/Subsurface-test.conf for that specific
user. So now the test user can have own settings stored independently,
including network service passwords, font, and any other saved
preferences.

Seems that I will have to start using this test account for testing
Subsurface, as that way I do not mess up my own settings in the
process.

HTH
miika