still Beta 2

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Sat Jan 7 07:07:51 PST 2017

> On Jan 7, 2017, at 2:36 AM, Stefan Fuchs <sfuchs at gmx.de> wrote:
>
> Hello Dirk,
>
> maybe the best thing you can do quickly was sending this mail ;-)
> But how many users do really read the mailing list?

I also posted to Facebook, where we usually get a few thousand impressions (but the Beta 2 announcement plus reminder only got a combined 400 so far)

> Where I see some room for improvement is the Subsurface homepage. The "News" section is currently only updated in the English version. Many other languages don't even have a real "News" section but this is called differently like "Unkategorisiert" in the German version and it's not up to date. What one could do as a quick change is to link the English "News" section from every language version.'

That's how it's supposed to work. I need to figure out why it isn't. Of course now that the Webpage data is in github, it would be easy enough for people here to submit translations for the website (hint-hint)

> Then maybe also mention the availability of beta version and also of daily builds in the "Download" section (for every language!) or maybe even under "Home".
>
> In the future would it be possible to use two different update channels (release, beta) like Mozilla is doing for Firefox and Thunderbird?

I'm not even sure how this would work, but that said, the VAST majority of our users turns off the update reminder. So I don't think that's an option.

> BTW: I'm running 4.6 beta 2 on Windows and just a few minutes ago imported my last dive from Lake Konstanz from yesterday! ;-)

Excellent. Which dive computer are you using?