Import photos from web

Willem Ferguson willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za
Wed Jan 11 03:35:16 PST 2017

On 11/01/2017 11:34, Robert Helling wrote:
> Hi,
>
> finally I got around to look at this again.
>
>> On 10 Jan 2017, at 09:27, Willem Ferguson
>> <willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za
>> <mailto:willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za>> wrote:
>>
>> I am testing all the options in the dive list context menu.
>>
>> If one imports photos from the Web, it asks for a URL. I provide a
>> URL to a dropbox directory with photos taken during that dive. Then I
>> hit the Ok button and nothing happens, except that the dialog is
>> closed. I would have expected the usual dialog as when importing
>> photos from hard disk. What is the precise procedure?
>
> This, unfortunately, is not how it (currently) works: So far, you need
> the URL of the actual image (not a html page that contains images),
> something like http://example.com/myimage.jpg
> Then the dialog closes and after the image is retrieved, the usual
> dialog as you call it should open. If the download fails or does not
> produce a recognisable image, then unfortunately it simply does
> nothing. We should display an error messageā€¦
>
> Best
> Robert

This helps a lot, Robert. Thank you.

I have not been successful in doing this type of import primarily
because I do not have a simple web site to load photos onto. The URLs
provided by Dropbox and Google Plus are complex because I suspect they
they point to an environment (Dropbox/GPlus) for viewing the photo, not
to the photo itself. This is probably why it does not work.

But I think an error message when the load is not successful is really
important from the user perspective.

One more query. I suspect when one loads an image from the Web, the
pointer in the dive log (*.ssrf) points to the web site, and every time
the dive is displayed, the image is loaded from the Web. is this correct?

Kind regards,

willem