getting ready for 4.6

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Sat Jan 14 20:49:10 PST 2017

Hi everyone

New daily builds are available for Windows, Mac, Linux AppImage, Linux
Ubuntu PPA, OBS for SUSE and Fedora. I would love some more testing, if
anyone has some time tonight or tomorrow...

At this point I'm hoping to cut the release at some point Sunday (or if
something pops up, possibly on Monday, which is a holiday for me).

Edits and translations for the website are of course very welcome,
logistically I'll post the announcement after I cut the releases, so the
timing may not be perfect for everyone. If you want to get started on the
translation of the announcement, here's the rough text I'm planning to use
(edits to that text, in email, are of course welcome, too).

The Subsurface development team proudly announces the release 4.6 of
Subsurface, an open source dive log and dive planning program for Windows,
Mac and Linux.

Some of the new additions since Subsurface 4.5.6:

- Add heatmap visualization of deco tissue loading
- Add --user= command line argument that allows switching between
  different users from the command line
- Fixed spurious errors when saving to cloud storage
- Fixed problems posting to Facebook
- Fixed problems opening pictures from picture tab
- Updated Windows and Mac binaries to Qt 5.7.1 (and newer versions of
  several other support libraries).
- Better handling of slow network connections when using cloud storage
- Add --cloud-timeout= command line argument that allows to wait longer
  (or shorter, for that matter) before we time out waiting for cloud
  storage. Very useful when in areas with poor internet connectivity
- Many fixes to CVS importer
- Add support for importing Underwater Technologies AV1 log files
- Add DAN DL7 import
- Improved OSTC 4 support
- Improvements to OSTC firmware update handling
- Bugfix for parsing AP Divesight dive log
- Fixes to Divelogs.de import and export
- Fixes to UDDF exporter
- Small fix to Uemis downloader for yet another corner case (Uemis
  downloader is known to be broken for some users - it is no longer
  actively maintained)
- Improved handling of dive computer events (grouping them into info,
  warning and alert - best supported on Suunto EON Steel)
- Fix surface pressure in dive planner
- Display surface interval in planner
- Fix deco algorithm confusion between planner and log
- Small improvements to dive planner (show repetitive dives)
- Many other small fixes to the dive planner
- Many fixes for various errors reported since 4.5.6
- Many updates and improvements to the user mannual
- Many translation updates
- SmartTrack .slg import (not available through the main application - a
  custom importer can be built using the Subsurface sources)
- Added support for additional divecomputers (through the great work of
  the <a href="http://libdivecomputer.org">libdivecomputer</a> project):
  - aqualand: Citizen Hyper Aqualand
  - meridian: Scubapro Mantis
  - nitekq: Dive Rite NiTek Q, NikTek Trio
  - Aeris: 500 AI, XR-1 NX
  - Aqualung: i300, i550T
  - Beuchat: Mundial 2, Mundial 3, Voyager 2G
  - Cressi: Giotto
  - Hollis: TX1
  - Mares: Airlab, Smart Apnea, Puck 2
  - Oceanic: OCi
  - Scubapro: XTender 5
  - Sherwood: Amphos, Amphos Air, Vision
  - Subgear: XP-3G, XP-Air
  - Uwatec: Aladin 2G

Binaries are available for Windows, Mac, a generic Linux AppImage and a
number of distribution specific Linux builds (Ubuntu, Debian, Linux Mint,
Fedora, and openSUSE).  Please take a look at our <a
href="/download/">Downloads</a> page for details.