getting ready for 4.6: announcement

Willem Ferguson willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za
Sun Jan 15 01:05:04 PST 2017

On 15/01/2017 06:49, Dirk Hohndel wrote:

> The Subsurface development team proudly announces the release 4.6 of
> Subsurface, an open source dive log and dive planning program for Windows,
> Mac and Linux.
>
> Some of the new additions since Subsurface 4.5:
*User Interface:*

> - Heatmap visualization of deco tissue loading

     Re-designed Facebook access from Subsurface

- Improved handling and visualisation of dive computer events in dive profile (grouping them into info,
   warning and alert - best supported on Suunto EON Steel)

- Display surface interval as well as dive duration prominently in planner

     Dive list indicates whether dives have associated photos

- Many translation updates

- Add --user= command line argument that allows switching between
   different users from the command line

- Add --cloud-timeout= command line argument that allows to wait longer
   (or shorter, for that matter) before we time out waiting for cloud
   storage. Very useful when in areas with poor internet connectivity

*Imports and exports:*
> - SmartTrack .slg import (not available through the main application - a
>    custom importer can be built using the Subsurface sources)
- Add support for importing Underwater Technologies AV1 log files

- Add DAN DL7 import

*
**Dive computer access:
*

- Improved OSTC 4 support
- Improvements to OSTC firmware update handling

> - Added support for additional divecomputers (through the great work of
>    the <a href="http://libdivecomputer.org">libdivecomputer</a> project):

>    - aqualand: Citizen Hyper Aqualand
>    - meridian: Scubapro Mantis
>    - nitekq: Dive Rite NiTek Q, NikTek Trio
>    - Aeris: 500 AI, XR-1 NX
>    - Aqualung: i300, i550T
>    - Beuchat: Mundial 2, Mundial 3, Voyager 2G
>    - Cressi: Giotto
>    - Hollis: TX1
>    - Mares: Airlab, Smart Apnea, Puck 2
>    - Oceanic: OCi
>    - Scubapro: XTender 5
>    - Sherwood: Amphos, Amphos Air, Vision
>    - Subgear: XP-3G, XP-Air
>    - Uwatec: Aladin 2G

*Errors solved:*

- Many fixes for various errors reported since 4.5

- Fixed problems opening pictures from picture tab

- Fixed spurious errors when saving to cloud storage
- Better handling of slow network connections when using cloud storage

- Many fixes to CVS importer

- Many small fixes to the dive planner

- Bugfix for parsing AP Divesight dive log
- Fixes to Divelogs.de import and export
- Fixes to UDDF exporter
- Small fix to Uemis downloader for yet another corner case (Uemis
   downloader is known to be broken for some users - it is no longer
   actively maintained)
- Fix surface pressure in dive planner

> - Fix deco algorithm confusion between planner and log
> - Small improvements to dive planner (show repetitive dives)
*
**Other:*

- Many updates and improvements to the user manual

- Updated Windows and Mac binaries to Qt 5.7.1 (and newer versions of
   several other support libraries).

> Binaries are available for Windows, Mac, a generic Linux AppImage and a
> number of distribution specific Linux builds (Ubuntu, Debian, Linux Mint,
> Fedora, and openSUSE).  Please take a look at our <a
> href="/download/">Downloads</a> page for details.

I think it would make the announcement more appealing if the topics were
categorised as in my above suggestion.
Kind regards,
willem