4.6 has been released

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Sun Jan 15 18:13:24 PST 2017

Sources are tagged, tar balls are on the server, as are binaries for all
of our supported platforms. The Launchpad and OBS builds are completed as
well, so all in all we should have 32 different binary distributions
built. That alone is insane...

I announced 4.6 on our website and on Facebook. I'll do ScubaBoard and G+
in a moment. As always, sharing the announcement on Facebook and G+
dramatically impacts our reach, so please get the word out!

Those of you willing to help with translations... now would be a great
time to clone git://github.com/Subsurface-divelog/subsurface-website and
look at the announcement but also at all of the other pages - many of the
pages have diverged A LOT between the English version and the
translations. Cleaning those up would be extremely helpful. If you are
translating any of the web content, would you add your name in the
README.md? That way people know who is working on what and it might be
easier to coordinate the work...

As you all will have noticed, this release cycle has been rather
different. Both Tomaz and I have left Intel (but we went in very different
directions from there, I just started a new job at VMware, he got married,
moved countries, continents and hemisphere and is now working in Germany),
and as a side effect both of us had significantly less time to devote to
Subsurface. The drop off in activity for the project is quite remarcable...

I hope to be able to get back to some consistency from here on out, and I
hope that the switch to take advantage of more of the github
infrastructure will help.

Usually when we do a major new release I post the statistics, but with
Subsurface-mobile happening between 4.5 and 4.6 those numbers are almost
meaningless - way too much of that work has been focused on nothing but
the Android and iOS versions (which is another reason why 4.6 came out
almost nine months after 4.5.6 and almost to the day fifteen months after
4.5. Wow.

But even without the statistics, let me thank those of you who have
allowed this amazing project to continue. Anton, Miika, Rick, Robert,
Willem... without you we might have come to a standstill. Salvador,
Guillaume, Tim, Joakim, Henrik - your help is important. Linus, it's fun
to see you in the top 8 contributor list for the past six months. That
alone makes me smile.

To everyone whom I didn't list, those working on all the translations, who
helped making the code and the documentation better by asking questions
and testing and reporting bugs. Thanks to all of you.

I can honestly say that (all the occasional frustrations aside), working
on Subsurface is a blast and one of the more rewarding things I've done in
the last five years. Thanks to all of you for making that possible.