4.6 has been released

Tomaz Canabrava tcanabrava at kde.org
Mon Jan 16 01:15:48 PST 2017

On Mon, Jan 16, 2017 at 3:13 AM, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:

> Sources are tagged, tar balls are on the server, as are binaries for all
> of our supported platforms. The Launchpad and OBS builds are completed as
> well, so all in all we should have 32 different binary distributions
> built. That alone is insane...
>
> I announced 4.6 on our website and on Facebook. I'll do ScubaBoard and G+
> in a moment. As always, sharing the announcement on Facebook and G+
> dramatically impacts our reach, so please get the word out!
>
> Those of you willing to help with translations... now would be a great
> time to clone git://github.com/Subsurface-divelog/subsurface-website and
> look at the announcement but also at all of the other pages - many of the
> pages have diverged A LOT between the English version and the
> translations. Cleaning those up would be extremely helpful. If you are
> translating any of the web content, would you add your name in the
> README.md? That way people know who is working on what and it might be
> easier to coordinate the work...
>
> As you all will have noticed, this release cycle has been rather
> different. Both Tomaz and I have left Intel (but we went in very different
> directions from there, I just started a new job at VMware, he got married,
> moved countries, continents and hemisphere and is now working in Germany),
> and as a side effect both of us had significantly less time to devote to
> Subsurface. The drop off in activity for the project is quite remarcable...

But now I'm near to Robert (like, really near) and I can annoy him as much
as I want,
which is also a nice thing because when he's in need he can scream for my
help in the
UI, and let me say this - he claims that he's not a c++ nor qt person but
he is doing
an awesome job on the profile :)

> I hope to be able to get back to some consistency from here on out, and I
> hope that the switch to take advantage of more of the github
> infrastructure will help.
>
> Usually when we do a major new release I post the statistics, but with
> Subsurface-mobile happening between 4.5 and 4.6 those numbers are almost
> meaningless - way too much of that work has been focused on nothing but
> the Android and iOS versions (which is another reason why 4.6 came out
> almost nine months after 4.5.6 and almost to the day fifteen months after
> 4.5. Wow.
>
> But even without the statistics, let me thank those of you who have
> allowed this amazing project to continue. Anton, Miika, Rick, Robert,
> Willem... without you we might have come to a standstill. Salvador,
> Guillaume, Tim, Joakim, Henrik - your help is important. Linus, it's fun
> to see you in the top 8 contributor list for the past six months. That
> alone makes me smile.
>
> To everyone whom I didn't list, those working on all the translations, who
> helped making the code and the documentation better by asking questions
> and testing and reporting bugs. Thanks to all of you.
>
> I can honestly say that (all the occasional frustrations aside), working
> on Subsurface is a blast and one of the more rewarding things I've done in
> the last five years. Thanks to all of you for making that possible.

Also for me. I almost gave up on opensource development quite a lot of
times
in the past before I got into subsurface (subsurface was going to be my last
try, to be exact, mostly because of the way politics and free software are
related
in brazil) and subsurface made me refuel and program for fun again.

Tomaz