AppImage of scubapro SmartTrak import tool

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Tue Jan 17 07:30:51 PST 2017

On Tue, Jan 17, 2017 at 03:52:32PM +0100, Anton Lundin wrote:
> On 17 January, 2017 - Dirk Hohndel wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Jan 17, 2017 at 08:05:25AM +0200, Willem Ferguson wrote:
> > > Would it require a lot of time to create an AppImage of this tool? As far as
> > > I can make out, it is built as a special case of the "normal" Subsurface
> > > build, the main difference being the requirement for two additional
> > > libraries. I cannot see that this AppImage build would need any real
> > > maintenance because the regular updates and patches to Subsurface are
> > > unlikely to affect the import process (unless of course the xml/ssrf format
> > > itself changes). One could simply call this AppImage something like
> > > smtk2ssrf_v4.6 so that we know it was derived from Subsurface v4.6. Am I
> > > being naïve?
> >
> > I haven't looked into it, but it does not seem to be too hard.
> > As everything else that I do (that all of us do), it's all a matter of
> > time. What should I be spending my "Subsurface time" on? How many people
> > will actually want to use that AppImage?
> >

> There was a person asking about it on the google group:
> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!category-topic/subsurface-divelog/NnwExwro_bQ
>
> There was no feedback after my answer.

This is like the iOS version of Subsurface-mobile. You all have seen how
much work has gone into making this happen. And from the server logs I see
that we have about 150 users. 1.5% of our user base. Gee, I'm glad I spent
all the time on that.

The Android version topped out at about 750 active users at one point.
So we slowed development of the desktop app that around ten thousand
people use to a complete crawl for a year in order for about 900 people to
play with the mobile app. With something like this it's hard to tell how
many of those tried it and said "useless" and how many actually use it,
given that most people only dive a very limited number of times a year.

So, long story short... I'm a bit worried about spending time on the weird
one-off vs on what people actually use.

(and yes, I am incredibly disappointed with the low numbers of the mobile
versions - it seemed that SO MANY PEOPLE asked for this... but what do I
know)