4.6 has been released

Rick Walsh rickmwalsh at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 14:43:41 PST 2017

On 16 January 2017 at 20:15, Tomaz Canabrava <tcanabrava at kde.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 16, 2017 at 3:13 AM, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:
>
>> Sources are tagged, tar balls are on the server, as are binaries for all
>> of our supported platforms. The Launchpad and OBS builds are completed as
>> well, so all in all we should have 32 different binary distributions
>> built. That alone is insane...

A while ago it was suggested someone (Robert?) contact Simon Mitchell for
comment on the tissue heat map inspired by his decompression controversies
presentation.  Since we have a stable binary (or 32) available, now could
be a good time.

>> I announced 4.6 on our website and on Facebook. I'll do ScubaBoard and G+
>> in a moment. As always, sharing the announcement on Facebook and G+
>> dramatically impacts our reach, so please get the word out!
>>
>> Those of you willing to help with translations... now would be a great
>> time to clone git://github.com/Subsurface-divelog/subsurface-website and
>> look at the announcement but also at all of the other pages - many of the
>> pages have diverged A LOT between the English version and the
>> translations. Cleaning those up would be extremely helpful. If you are
>> translating any of the web content, would you add your name in the
>> README.md? That way people know who is working on what and it might be
>> easier to coordinate the work...
>>
>> As you all will have noticed, this release cycle has been rather
>> different. Both Tomaz and I have left Intel (but we went in very different
>> directions from there, I just started a new job at VMware, he got married,
>> moved countries, continents and hemisphere and is now working in Germany),
>> and as a side effect both of us had significantly less time to devote to
>> Subsurface. The drop off in activity for the project is quite
>> remarcable...
>>

> Congratulations to both of you.  Sometimes I wondered how you two
(especially) were able to dedicate so much time to Subsurface.  A slower
pace is far from the end of the world for the project.

> But now I'm near to Robert (like, really near) and I can annoy him as much
> as I want,
> which is also a nice thing because when he's in need he can scream for my
> help in the
> UI, and let me say this - he claims that he's not a c++ nor qt person but
> he is doing
> an awesome job on the profile :)

Excellent - do keep up with annoying each other if it's for a good cause.

>> I hope to be able to get back to some consistency from here on out, and I
>> hope that the switch to take advantage of more of the github
>> infrastructure will help.
>>
>> Usually when we do a major new release I post the statistics, but with
>> Subsurface-mobile happening between 4.5 and 4.6 those numbers are almost
>> meaningless - way too much of that work has been focused on nothing but
>> the Android and iOS versions (which is another reason why 4.6 came out
>> almost nine months after 4.5.6 and almost to the day fifteen months after
>> 4.5. Wow.
>>
>> But even without the statistics, let me thank those of you who have
>> allowed this amazing project to continue. Anton, Miika, Rick, Robert,
>> Willem... without you we might have come to a standstill. Salvador,
>> Guillaume, Tim, Joakim, Henrik - your help is important. Linus, it's fun
>> to see you in the top 8 contributor list for the past six months. That
>> alone makes me smile.
>>
>> To everyone whom I didn't list, those working on all the translations, who
>> helped making the code and the documentation better by asking questions
>> and testing and reporting bugs. Thanks to all of you.
>>
>> I can honestly say that (all the occasional frustrations aside), working
>> on Subsurface is a blast and one of the more rewarding things I've done in
>> the last five years. Thanks to all of you for making that possible.
>>

> Also for me. I almost gave up on opensource development quite a lot of
> times
> in the past before I got into subsurface (subsurface was going to be my
> last
> try, to be exact, mostly because of the way politics and free software are
> related
> in brazil) and subsurface made me refuel and program for fun again.

Tomaz, thanks for sticking with it.  You've made a huge contribution and
I've learnt a lot from reading your code.

Cheers,

Rick