Quirks of Subsurface planner

Willem Ferguson willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za
Thu Jan 19 22:42:59 PST 2017

I attach two screenshots of a dive plan before saving it and after
selecting the dive plan on the dive list and opening it as "Edit in dive
planner".

Before saving (DiveplanInitial.jpg), the demo dive plan reflects a cave
dive where, due to the layout of the cave, it is necessary to specify
depth/time points for a significant part of the ascent. The entrance is
at 16m and the planner can only do unconstrained deco calculations
shallower than 16m. The dive has three gas segments, corresponding to
each of the three cylinders used.

I then save the plan, select it again on the dive list and open it for
editing within the dive planner (DiveplanAfter.jpg). Several features
need to be noted.
1) In this case, three points with zero time duration have been added
(first point, 2 more at 43 min into the dive) in the Dive Planner Points
table.
2) On the profile, a section on back gas (EAN32) has been inserted,
starting immediately after ascending past 16m. So now the dive profile
has FOUR gas segments. If I delete the zero-duration-points referred to
above, this extra gas segment disappears.
3) In the planner, the cylinder pressure is not shown in the Information
Box in the Profile panel (see DiveplanAfter.jpg). This is a pity because
it is extremely useful to be able to see the expected cylinder pressure
during the different phases of the dive.
4) I could not replicate it in this specific exercise, but in some cases
when re-opening a dive for editing in the planner, the part of the dive
where the planner initially calculated the deco profile, (upon
re-editing) comes up as hard depth/time milestones (i.e. fixed and
indicated by small white circles as if they were forced (explicitly
specified in the Dive Planner Points table) all the way to the surface
during the initial planning.

Kind regards,
willem