Subsurface 4.7 / 5.0

Hartley Horwitz hhrwtz at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 10:03:06 PST 2017

> .....snip......
>

> One option is to try to make next Subsurface the Subsurface 5:
>
> We have an *Awesome* dive log, and we can continue to develop that, or we
> can do a step back and try to change the *bare minimum* on the core to
> facilitate the integration on the Qml engine without code duplication, my
> take on that would be to port the C-Structs to C++ Classes that inherit
> from QObject (because we can fed those to QML), not messing with the
> algorithms nor anything else that we don't need to touch - those should
> still be in C, algougth compiled with a c++ compiler to have C++ linkage
> and we can call their code  from QML, while also using those parts on the
> Desktop version reducing the amount of duplicated code.
>
> Other option is to try to make next Subsurface the Subsurface 4.7:
>
> Continue duplicating code for the Mobile version (that has a small
> userbase but will probabbly gain an increase of usage over the years) and
> cleaning / improving the Desktop version, changing things on the core as
> little as we need.
>
> What you guys think?
> I'm back on hacking, but I need directions, remember that I don't dive
> that much. :)
>
> Tomaz
>
> Unfortunately I'm not a coder, but in my experience keeping the
code easily maintainable is critical, particularly for a volunteer based
program.  If moving to Subsurface 5 results in a more unified environment
for desktop and mobile, then that seems like a great improvement for those
who maintain this fantastic tool.  I'm all for keeping those guys sane
because my contributions are so limited.

...Hartley